Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Robert Rauschenberg

Robert Rauschenberg passed away on May 12. What a great loss to the American Art world. The entire art world for that matter. I made a tribute to him on Etsy treasuries -------------------------------->



It was the best I could do. I've spent a lot of time over the last few days thinking about Rauschenberg and his influence, and his incredibly prolific creative life. He recently (well 1999 to 2000 I think) had a show at Mass MoCA out in North Adams, which was incredible. Called the 1/4 Mile or 2 Furlong piece, it filled the entire huge gallery. When I think I'm too tired, too hungry, too whatever, to go to the studio, I should remember Rauschenberg and how he was so dedicated to his creative life. A good friend of mine once said "I bet Brittany Spears didn't create her empire sitting on the couch watching sitcoms and thinking about what she should do." Ok, so Brittany is hard to take right now, but still, she is an icon and has and empire created by her talent. So it's no rest for the weary...and I perservere and pay the mortgage one set of pot holders at a time.


<-----------------the latest set. I like these. I've always thought of sewing as an alternate art form. It IS an art form. Just take a look at some of the magnificent art quilts that are being created these days.


I have a studio as well, which I try to spend as much time in as possible and work on my painting. It's been an uphill climb, but so completely worth it, that the months without sales really don't matter. When you identify so completely with creating and being an artist, it's just what you do.

---------------->

the studio just before Open Studios last June, 2007. Open Studios this year June 7 & 8, 2008! Come and see me!

No comments:

Post a Comment