Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I've quit my day job


That's right! While it was bittersweet and one of the hardest things I've had to do, I left my position at Easthampton City Arts (ECA) as Coordinator. I've been with the group since its early days and started at 3 hours a week managing the website and encouraging other artists in the community to sign up on the brand new site. It slowly developed into a full time position and the group took on some pretty amazing projects, including Bear Fest 2009! It was one of the most amazing projects I've ever been involved with!

All along the way I've been trying to continue to work in my own studio and also manage a growing quilting/sewing business on Etsy. It became clear over the last year that I could not devote enough attention to any of my work, including ECA, and everything was suffering. Not really suffering, but I was just maintaining each thing at a kind of flat-line level...not really how I like to operate.

And so, I've taken the plunge and am facing the risks head on. BTaylor Quilts is doing great, and it can be better, and that's what I'm trying to devote my attention to. I've also got an exhibit this October at the Springfield Museum of Fine Arts and am busily working on new paintings to include in that show (well, if it wasn't so hot in my studio!!) I feel so fortunate to be able to have this time to focus on my own work. It's more than a full time job, it's every waking moment for the most part, but I LOVE it! I've got a new long arm quilting machine in the shop, which is another story (I promise to tell you about shortly!!), and have been busy designing new products, quilts, and brewing other ideas for marketing and getting the word out.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is big! Good luck. I did the same thing in June. Best wishes, Michelle

    ReplyDelete